Catalytic Converter Trouble Signs
You probably don’t sit around thinking about your catalytic converter. Hopefully, you never need to sit around thinking about catalytic converters. Unfortunately, however, sometimes catalytic converters can fail or have issues, and in that situation you want to call Chevrolet of Homewood, your Calumet City area source for expert maintenance and service. Find out if it’s time to worry about your car’s catalytic converter below.
How to Spot a Bad Catalytic Converter
Luckily, you don’t have to stay up at night worrying about whether or not your catalytic converter is failing. There are some easy to spot warning signs that will tip you off well before your car breaks down:
- Poor Acceleration: If your car refuses to accelerate when you step on the gas pedal, then you may have a catalytic converter issue. The catalytic converter communicates with the powertrain control module of your car and emissions management systems; and if the converter isn’t working, your engine may prevent the car from accelerating.
- Slow starts or stalls after a few minutes: If your car doesn’t start easily or if the car stalls and shuts off after a few minutes, it could be a catalytic converter issue.
- Check Engine Light: A catalytic converter problem is a relatively common cause for the check engine light. The only way to know for sure is to have the error code read by a professional.
- Poor Fuel Economy: If your car starts burning more gas than before, there’s a chance that your catalytic converter isn’t doing its job.
- Failed Emissions Test: If you’ve recently failed an emissions test, the culprit could be a bad catalytic converter.
All of those problems are usually the result of a catalytic converter getting old, and so full of residue from exhaust gasses that it gets clogged. That prevents exhaust from getting out the exhaust system, and can cause the engine to perform poorly or even stall.
Visit Chevrolet of Homewood Today
Do you need help with your catalytic converter? The pros here at Chevrolet of Homewood can help! We’re located at 18033 S. Halsted St. in Homewood, IL, so stop by today take care of all of your maintenance needs. We’re just a quick trip from Calumet City, so stop by or schedule service online now.