Cleaning Your Car’s Wheels and Rims
You should clean your wheels. Dirty rims are all too commonplace, because even when the weather is dry, your wheels and rims continue to get dirty with road grit and grime and brake pad dust generated from braking. This caked on junk makes your shiny car look less than cared for. Luckily, it’s not so hard to clean those wheels if you know what you’re doing.
How to Clean Those Dirty Wheels and Rims
Something that most drivers don’t necessarily understand is that wheels make themselves dirty. That brake dust all over your rims comes from your brake pads during braking, and it’s actually a lot harder to clean off than regular road grime. Unfortunately, if you don’t clean that brake dust off, you can get corrosion on the surface of your wheels. That’s why we recommend tackling the issue as soon as possible. Here’s how:
- Your Supplies: First you need to get some wheel cleaning solution, a bucket of soapy water, a bucket of regular water, a soft bristle brush, and a microfiber towel.
- Soak the Brush: By letting that brush hang out in the soapy water for a few minutes it soaks up the soap and softens so it will be more effective at cleaning.
- Spray Your Wheels: Use the wheel cleaning solution to thoroughly spray the wheels and then let that sit for a few minutes while it reacts with the coated on grime.
- Scrub and Scrub: Get in there with the brush and scrub off the wheels with the brush using a circular motion. As the brush accumulates pollutants, rinse it off in the bucket of water, before another dip in the soapy water.
- Wipe It All Away: When your rims look clean of dirt and brake dust, wipe them off with the microfiber towel.
- Polish: If you want, polishing your rims with a dry microfiber cloth can add some shine to those rims.
Get Your Chevy Parts and Accessories at Chevrolet of Homewood
Need a new set of wheels for your car? Chevrolet of Homewood can help. You can order parts online or visit us at 18066 S. Halsted St. in Homewood, IL to get the genuine Chevy parts you need. You can also contact us online now to ask any questions or schedule a service appointment now to have our team help out with your car.