How to Tell When Your Car Needs New Tires
Your vehicle’s tires affect a number of important driving characteristics. From handling and traction to overall fuel economy, making sure your tires are in good condition and properly inflated is important. That’s why the automotive experts at Chevrolet of Homewood have put together this guide to spotting possible tire problems, alerting you to issues before they become unsafe.
Signs Your Tires Need Replaced
- Tread Condition – One important area to check is your tire’s tread. When it’s worn down, the tire doesn’t get adequate traction or handling. Keep an eye out for wear bars. These horizontal pieces of rubber embedded in the tire indicate when it needs to be replaced.
- Temperature – On hot asphalt, the air inside a tire expands. If your tire is worn, that sudden expansion can cause it to wear out even faster.
- Pressure Changes – Tires will ordinarily loose one PSI per month. If they’re losing more than that, it might a sign that the tire needs to be replaced.
- Tire Integrity – Keep an eye out for bulges, cracks, or large cuts in your tire. It might be a sign that the sidewall or tread of the tire has been compromised, and a blowout or flat could happen soon after.
- Vibrations and Thumping – If you experience strange vibrations or thumping noises, it could be an issue with the tires, suspension, or wheel balancing. Take your vehicle to a qualified service center and they can figure out the cause.
Why Replace Your Tires?
Getting new tires can improve your overall fuel economy, and a tire with generous tread can handle better in the heavy rain and snow you’ll find in the Calumet City area. In addition, purchasing tires one at a time can create uneven wear, so we recommend changing out your tires all at once. If you have any questions about tire care or overall vehicle maintenance, turn to Chevrolet of Homewood.
Have Your Tires Inspected Today
The service center at Chevrolet of Homewood can’t wait to assist you with whatever maintenance and repair needs you have. We offer a tire finder service to help you get the best fit for your vehicle, and when you bring in your vehicle for service, we can quickly perform a wheel balancing. Don’t wait! Schedule an appointment online to bring your car, truck, or SUV to the experienced technicians at Chevrolet of Homewood.