Reasons Your Car Won’t Start
Unfortunately, if your car isn’t starting up, you probably don’t have the luxury of preventative maintenance. Whether you’re in that tough spot or you’re trying to plan ahead, it’s still informative to know what might cause a car not to start. These are a few of the most common reasons that your car might not start from the mechanics here at Chevrolet of Homewood.
Why Won’t My Car Start?
You need your car to get to work, to get around, to run errands, and to do any number of things. When it refuses to start, you’re in trouble. Luckily, most problems with your car starting can be prevented by simple regular maintenance tasks.
- Dead Battery: Your battery is what gives your engine the juice to get started. If your battery is dead, your engine can’t start. It’s that simple. Your battery can die if you leave a light on in your car, or if your battery is simply old and worn out. You can usually get started again with a jump start, or by replacing the battery.
- Bad Ignition Switch: If your battery is definitely charged up, and your car doesn’t start, the next thing to check is your ignition switch. You can check to see if your battery is working by turning on your headlights. If they turn on and the car won’t start then your ignition switch could be bad.
- Starter Issues: The starter could be another reason your car won’t start. This component provides the turning force to get the engine started. If you’re hearing a repeated clicking noise when you try to start your vehicle, then your starter or solenoid could be shot.
- Clogged Fuel Filter: Sometimes your fuel filter can clog up and fuel won’t reach your engine. The fuel filter needs to be changed every 10,000 or 15,000 miles, or about once a year, depending on how much you drive.
- Empty Gas Tank: One reason your car might not start is simple. That’s when you’re out of gas. If there’s no gas in the tank it’s hard for your engine to get started!
Visit Chevrolet of Homewood Today
We’re always happy to help you with all of your maintenance needs here at Chevrolet of Homewood. We’re located at 18033 S. Halsted St. in Homewood, IL, a quick trip from Calumet City, so come visit us or schedule service online now.