Vehicle Emergency Kit Essentials: Be Prepared for Anything
Anything can happen on the road. Whether it’s winter or summer, you’re in the city or in the country, there’s always a possibility of a breakdown, a flat tire, or an accident. Luckily, all it takes is a little preparation to turn a major problem into a minor inconvenience. Here at Chevrolet of Homewood we recommend that you always carry a vehicle emergency kit, so you can take on any problem you might have on the road.
What to Take With You
We think it’s a good idea to carry a kit of emergency supplies at all times. This can be a literal lifesaver if you break down in the winter, and can make it easy for you to get back on the road after a breakdown any time of year. So what do you need in your vehicle emergency kit? This is what we recommend:
- Jumper cables: Don’t depend on someone else to have cables if you need a jump. Alternatively, you could bring a small battery with jumper cables, so you don’t need to find help.
- Flares or triangle reflectors: If you’ve got to change a spare tire or you need help, these will make you more visible.
- A quart or more of motor oil: Sometimes breakdowns are caused by oil leaks or low oil. A quart might get you safely to a service station.
- A gallon of coolant: If you find your car is overheating, a gallon of coolant can provide your engine with relief.
- First-aid kit: In case of a minor accident outside the car, a first aid kit is always helpful to have around.
- Blanket or space blanket and warm clothes: If you’re driving around Chicagoland in winter, then make sure you’re prepared.
- Flashlight and extra batteries: Whether you’re changing a tire in the dark, digging your car out of a ditch, or anything else after dark, you’ll want a flashlight.
- Tool kit with screwdrivers, pliers, adjustable wrench, pocket knife: A small toolkit can come in handy in many ways.
- Granola or energy bars and bottled water: You never know how long you might be stranded if your car breaks down, so it’s essential to have basic non-perishable food and water.
If you’re looking to get many of these items in a single, convenient package, consider the Chevy Emergency Kit. You can order that through our parts department at Chevrolet of Homewood.
Visit Chevrolet of Homewood Today
The best way to avoid breakdowns on the road is to regularly have your car serviced here at Chevrolet of Homewood, at 18033 S. Halsted St. in Homewood, IL. You can schedule service online now.