Words of Wisdom for Car Washing
Chevrolet of Homewood is just one of the many Chevrolet dealerships near Flossmoor that emphasizes the upkeep of your car’s exterior. Everyone knows that first impressions are the most important. Who wouldn’t want that fresh, clean, shine that brings out the sheen and crispness of your factory finish? Nothing makes your car look brand new like a good trip through the wash. If you want to save some money on paying for a professional car wash from your local body shop, there are some things you should know before you get out your hose and bucket of soapy water.
Some Steps to More Effective Car Washing
Although car washing seems simple and intuitive at first glance, there are many fine, crucial details that are easily overlooked by inexperienced car lovers. If you’re a do-it-yourself type of person, consider these brief tidbits of advice:
- You should always do a preliminary rinse with clear, plain water before you apply soapy water to your finish. You should never start with soapy water, as you want to wash away any debris that may be freely resting on top of the clear coat with a steady stream of clear water.
- Always use a damp rag when wiping down your finish. It’s important that your rag be at least a little bit wet. If it’s dry, rubbing it against your finish is like rubbing your paint down with sandpaper: The fine dust and dirt particles embedded into the fabric can scratch and mar the coat.
- When you do a wash, check your weather stripping to ensure that your interior is properly insulated. You’ll know if you need new weather stripping, as your windows or sunroof will leak from the outside in.
- No “wax on, wax off”: Car washing has evolved, matured, and wizened since the early 1980s brought The Karate Kid. Don’t scrub in circular motions across the surface of the paint. Rather, scrub in the general direction of the contours of the paint. Just go with the flow!
Have Your Car Washed at Chevrolet of Homewood
There are few things we love to see more than our customers rolling into our lot at Chevrolet of Homewood for a good old-fashioned car wash. Keep your set of wheels sleek and shiny all year ‘round by regularly checking out our service specials, which often include discounts on various services, including:
- Car washes
- Air conditioner inspection/filter replacement
- Tire rotations
- Wheel alignments
We’re conveniently located just south of Chicago and open Monday through Saturday. Feel free to call our Service Department at (708) 799-2000 to schedule an appointment!